Interested in submitting an article to Music and Arts in Action? MAiA publishes work that focuses on individual and group encounters with the arts in a practical social context, as well as theoretical work examining music and the arts as active components of human experience. The editors at MAiA would be pleased to consider a range of manuscripts, including:
- Policy or practitioner-based research examining the applied arts and artistic interventions, perhaps with an emphasis on questions of social change, conflict resolution or identity.
- Ethnographic exploration of the arts in traditional contexts.
- Sociological research examining the arts in everyday life, media use of the arts, and mediation in the arts.
- Philosophical or theoretical work outlining the role of the arts in social life or the public sphere.
- Historical analysis of artistic controversy, the arts and nationalism, and arts and identity-formation.
- Psychological discussions of musical cognition, artistic appreciation, and individual engagement with the arts.
- Medical findings regarding music and the arts in health or wellness situations.
Have a look at the About the Journal page for our section policies. Authors need to register with the journal prior to submitting, or if already registered, authors can simply log in and begin the 5 step process.
- In short, we are looking for scholarly articles between 5 and 7,000 words, and documentary work between 3 and 4,500 words.
- While MAiA is an English-language publication, the MAiA Editorial Team will work closely with authors to translate work from other languages.
- Manuscripts need not follow specific formatting guidelines at the submission stage; authors will be asked to format their manuscripts using MAiA's style template once accepted for publication. The full formatting instructions are available here.
- Authors are encouraged to upload additional media files (up to 50MB each) along with their text submission.
- Please ensure that all URL addresses in the text are active (and archived with D.O.I.'s where possible).
- Please ensure that the submission has not been previously published nor is it currently under consideration for another journal. If this not the case, please provide an explanation when submitting.
- Authors are responsible for the factual content of their work; articles should be corrected for errors prior to submission.
- Authors should note that there must be a 1-year gap in articles published by the same author or joint author in MAiA.
For more information on submitting to MAiA, please download a step-by-step guide to the online submission process here
© Music and Arts in Action | ISSN 1754-7105 | MAiA - Music and Arts in Action, Department of Sociology & Philosophy, The University of Exeter, Amory Building, Rennes Drive, Exeter EX4 4RJ, UK